Sunday, October 25, 2009

Flaxy Pumpkin Bars

Happy Sunday! I hope you all have been enjoying your weekend. I have had a pretty productive one! My to-do list has been growing and growing and I finally am putting a big dent in it. Isn’t it great to feel accomplished? Makes me feel so much better!

First things first, I started off with a lovely pot of stove-top oats:

DSC01495

 

DSC01496

~The Mix~

  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 naner, melted in
  • cinnamon, dash of sea salt
  • frozen blueberries
  • plain Oikos

Simple and delish. I usually have green monsters for breakfast on the weekdays since they are so quick and I can drink them while I get ready, so my bowls of oats on the weekends have been an extra special treat. :D

After breakfast, I got my boot-ay in gear and started my laundry. I am on the third and final load. Yahoo!

Next up, I had a date with Bob.

DSC01478

*swoon*

I’ll be doing a review of this DVD in the near future. I just haven’t had time to get through all three levels yet. So far, I am loving level one though…but I don’t know if that has more to do with the “view” or the actual yoga part. You catch my drift? Bob, you are one sexy beast!

Then it was time for a much needed mani-pedi. My claws are looking fab right about now. :)

Next up was football, where I supported my team, The Chiefs. Unfortunately, it was yet another disappointing game…Oh, KC, how I urn for you to one day be decent…but I am a loyal fan so I will keep right on supporting!

To mourn to loss of the Chief’s game, I made my way into the kitchen to do some baking therapy.

That brings me to the title of the post…I adapted a recipe I found off of  the Hungry Girl website for “pumpkin squares.” I played with the ingredients a bit and finally came up with:

Flaxy Pumpkin Bars

DSC01509

I was excited to whip out this lovely fall ingredient:

DSC01503

In it goes…

DSC01501

  • One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
  • One 12-oz. can evaporated milk (or almond/coconut milk)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg sub. (egg beaters, or real eggs)
  • 1/4 cup flaxmeal
  • 1/2 cup sweetener of choice 
  • 1 tbsp  pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix thoroughly.

Place mixture in a baking dish (8" X 8" works well) sprayed lightly with nonstick spray, and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. (It will remain a little soft, like pie filling.)

Once ready to serve (it's delicious eaten hot or cold), cut into 9 pieces.

This recipe was SUPER easy and quick to put together. I have a feeling I will be making this a lot during the cold months ahead, topped with a dollop of Oikos, of course.

Alright blogaroos, I’ve got to get back to my list. I’ve got the motivation today so I need to make the most of it..it never lasts long. ;)

Here’s a toughie Q for you guys:

 What is your favorite dessert when its cold outside?

I’d  have to say that nothing beats pumpkin pie. But I also love baked apples. Mmmm.

Kristi

11 comments:

  1. those pumpkin bars sound amazing! I want one :) My favorite fall desert is pumpkin pie too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great recipe, those bars look delish. and tomorrow is national pumpkin day so they are perfect! my favorite dessert, when hot or cold, is always ice cream :) have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun fall treat!

    Favorite dessert when cold outside (or anytime) = Theo chocolate or Coconut Bliss ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be trying that recipe! My fave cold weather dessert? Well...I LOVE smoothies in a bowl topped with granola, either that or pumpkin/any fruit pie will totally do the trick! Oatmeal in the morning is a must!

    Have a great weekend!
    Love,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm I love pumpkin - especially in bar form :) my favorite cold weather dessert would have to be apple crisp - but I have a feeling I shall be making many dessert-esque bowls of oats this winter! Can't wait!

    have a great week, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely going to make those! I love hungry girls recipes and yours looks fantastic.. so yup definitely making them!

    My favorite dessert when it's cold outside.. pie! Or anything pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. reading your blog always makes me hungry!!!
    i'm not a dessert kinda gal but some apple pie sounds yummy for these chilly days ;)
    hope all is well hun!!
    XO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. girl! this looks SO delicious!

    your oats look bang-on too! ;)

    My favorite warm dessert.. always will be brownies.. or apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great recipe and your oats are look spectacular, girl!! that oikos on top just makes me smile :)

    great and easy pumpkin recipe, dont ya love HG?

    ReplyDelete